Standard One: Know Students and How They Learn

As a teacher, I recognize that all students learn differently. It is paramount that recognise and acknowledge the impact of an increasingly diverse student population on both curriculum design considerations and instructional practices (Fields, 1999). I must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of strategies for differentiating teaching to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities. This allows each student the opportunity to demonstrate their full capacity for learning and gives them the potential to succeed (Marsh, 2008). In my classroom, I will obtain an understanding of my students and how they learn by altering the curriculum to cater for diverse learning styles, abilities and interests; modify the learning environment to create an inclusive environment; understand the social diversity within my classroom; foster positive relationships with my students and their families; understand my students’ strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes; and asking students to reflect on their learning experience and tailor future lessons accordingly. 

For this standards artefact I have selected a piece of assessment I completed for EDP3333 (Pedagogy and Curriculum 3). The assessment required me to develop a class profile, and then design and deliver a unit of work accordingly for the class during my third year practicum experience. I was required to design and deliver a History unit, within the Historical Knowledge and Understanding strand of the Australian Curriculum. I created four sequential learning experiences, which allowed students to explore the historical events that occurred in England that led to the exploration of the Pacific and the eventual colinisation of Australia. The lessons were conducted in a Year Four class of seventeen boys with varied learning interests and abilities.  The class comprised students of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds and special needs, such as one child with Autism Spectrum Disorder, one child with slow processing disorder and two English as Second Language (ESL) students. The school was situated in a high socio-economic position in Brisbane, which had a significant impact on the expectations of the teaching and learning standards for the students and their families. 

The process of developing a class profile (Artefact One) (Focus areas- 1.1, 1.2) provided me withawareness of the diversity that was inherent in the group. I accessed prior knowledge and favoured learning style of the students (for the class profile) through various observations and lessons I had conducted. Catering for these diverse needs of the students were not limited to the first order differences, including disabilities, cultural background, and religious beliefs. It entailed the positive use of close teacher-student bonds to gain a full understanding of the learner’s individual needs. Creating the class profile encouraged me to explore the fine-grained differences that form a child’s learning identity including interests, learning preferences and life experiences. This is evidence of my ability to accurately assess physical, social and intellectual development and the characteristics of the students. Subsequently, I had acquired an understanding of the unique needs of each student, which lead me to construct learning experiences that best suited to the class. Gardner’s seven Multiple Intelligences were also used as a guide during the creation and delivery of the learning experiences and assessment tasks. This approach allowed me to design activities that incorporated the seven distinct intelligences such as viewing information films and images, cut and paste activities, arts and crafts, role-play, musical experiences, reading and independent research, and reflecting and sharing with peers.  Each lesson aimed to address the class’ diverse abilities to learn, remember, perform, and understand. By incorporating Gardner’s seven Multiple Intelligences, I was able to differentiate teaching to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities.

As a result, the assignment for EDP3333 provided me with the fundamental skills to develop an understanding of each student and the way they learn. Furthermore, I was able to use the acquired information to develop effective learning experiences that were best suited to the class context. The First Fleet construction activity (Artefact Two) (Focus areas- 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5) is an exemplar of student work completed during the History unit. The students were required to work in groups of three to create a replica of their chosen First Fleet ship, in addition to a short paper describing the purpose of the ship and other relevant information. This particular student was best suited to lessons that incorporated visual- spatial, bodily-kinesthetic and interpersonal teaching styles. Therefore, this activity provided the student with an appropriate opportunity to demonstrate understanding.

I feel competent that during my pre-service teaching experience, I have acquired a foundation of skills that will assist me to know my students and identify how they learn. I will not make assumptions that everyone can learn the same materials in the same way and that a uniform, universal measure suffices to test student learning.  I will, however, acknowledge that my class will comprise of diverse background, beliefs, interests, learning preferences and life experiences. In turn, I must establish learning experiences that address each need to ensure each student has an opportunity to reach their academic, social and physical potential.

References

Marsh, C. J. (2008). Studies of Society and Environment: Exploring the teaching possibilities (5th ed.). Frenchs Forest, N.S.W.: Pearson Education Australia.

Fields, B. (1999). The Teacher and Student Diversity: Problems, Challenges and Opportunities. Curriculum Perspectives, 19(3). Retrieved from ePrints database.