Introduction to Scratch Programming

Phase one was an interesting journey for me as I am not very computer literate. When I first saw the ‘scratch’ program that we had to use to be honest it scared me! As I read the introduction video to scratch and the tutorial videos I felt much more confident. While completing Scratch 1, 2 and 3 I had to engage in various activities such as; making an e-sketch, drawing polygons, making a racing game and making a ping pong game. Through these activities I learnt simple commands such as what different features could do, how to change colours, how to repeat something, how to paint a background, how to find coordinates, setting timers and making consequences in games, how to make variables and changing the speed. One implication that I found was when something went wrong (for e.g. my racing car was going in the wrong direction) I had to understand exactly how every little component worked to fix my problem. Once I fixed this I was very impressed with myself that I completed all these activities and my game actually worked! Check out my racing game---->>

Scratch would be a useful tool in many classrooms especially in years 3-4 and 5-6:

Years 3-4

4.6 Design and implement simple visual programs with user input and branching

Years 5-6

6.6 Follow, modify and describe simple algorithms involving sequence of steps, decisions, and repetitions that are represented diagrammatically and in plain English

(ACARA, 2013, p. 73)

As students are just beginning with this digital technology and it is quite new for them I would do a whole class lesson first. This will allow students to go through the activities together and learn the different features and commands as a class. I think it would be difficult for students to begin using this program alone as there is a lot to take in and learn at once.

Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), (2013). Draft Australian Curriculum: Technologies[PDF].  Retrieved from http://consultation.australiancurriculum.edu.au/Static/docs/Technologies/Draft%20Australian%20Curriculum%20Technologies%20-%20February%202013.pdf

Extension Project with Scratch

During this phase I chose to extend my car racing game. It was quite hard as I had absolutely no idea how to include different levels in my game. The first thing I did was research in Google ‘How to make different levels in Scratch’. Luckily a great YouTube video came up with applicable instructions on exactly how to do this. If you have a look to the right I have included this video in my reflection as it really helped me succeed in this extension project. Even having the tutorial video to follow it still took me a while to figure out exactly how and what components to use. I learnt how to make a new background, how to use the ‘if touched’ script, the ‘broadcast’ script and how to switch backgrounds so that it went to a different level. I think if I were to apply this digital technology into the classroom I would definitely go through as a whole class on the smart board and do it together first. It almost took me over an hour to figure out how to do this so I could just imagine how difficult it would be for students. Maybe after students look confident completing the activity together then they can go ahead and do one on their own. According to the Australian Curriculum this activity would be appropriate for year 5-6 as students will need to ‘Design and implement digital solutions usingvisual programs with user input, branching and iteration’, (ACARA, 2013, p. 73).

Innova8IT. (2012, June 16). Adding New Levels to a Game in Scratch [Video file]. Video posted to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJ30ehrr9I

Exploring Alternatives to Scratch

Exploring other alternatives was a very interesting activity as I got to see how different programs worked. It was exciting to see what different programs actually did and how these programs could be implemented into the classroom. The first program I explored was ‘Game Maker’. I thought the outcome of this was very similar to the ‘Scratch’ program but the process it took to actually make the game was very different. I think Scratch would be easier and more useful for students to use in a classroom as the set out is more organized and simple to find things. I found it hard to locate things in Game Maker and after completing the tutorial I still was very confused how to use the program. Have a look to your right how Game Maker is set out –->

While using Game Maker I learnt how to create sprites, make sounds, use objects, give the objects movements and add events. I also didn’t like how when using this program you could not see what you were doing straight away. In order to make the game you add all the objects, sounds, events and movements to the side and then can only see the end product at the end. I think Students would find it useful if they can see their progress as they are creating their game, so they know if they are on the right track. From looking at other programs makes me realize just how well Scratch would work well in classrooms.

According to the Australian Curriculum this digital technology would be suitable for the following year levels:

Years 3 to 4

4.5 Define simple problems, and follow and describe the algorithms (sequence of steps and decisions) needed to solve them

Years 5 and 6

6.5 Define problems in terms of data and functional requirements, and describe common characteristics and elements of similar problem (ACARA, 2013, p. 73).

Independent Project

Rather than replicate a previous project I chose to undertake another project using Game Maker. By watching the tutorials and learning how to use all the different features when exploring alternatives I have created my own game. Before starting this course I thought I would never accomplish something like this but as I got through all the activities I actually did it! The game I made is called ‘The Clown Game’. There is a clown that moves on the screen and you have to try and click on the clown. As you click on the clown it gets faster and faster. Have a go at my game by clicking the link to the right ---->

As I have already said in my past reflection I do think Scratch would work better in the classroom, however as an alternative Game Maker would still be quite useful. Game Maker would allow students to engage with the digital technology according to their abilities. Once students have engaged with the program they will be able to create more compound games through trial and error. Students’ then will have to opportunity to create logical and creative games.  I would again go through the different features and components of the game with students before commencing. I learnt how to use this program by watching tutorials on how other people created games and reading the tutorials that came with the program so I wouldn’t expect students to be able to pick up how to use the program straight away.

Years 3 to 4

Years 5 and 6

6.5 Define problems in terms of data and functional requirements, and describe common characteristics and elements of similar problem (ACARA, 2013, p. 73)

Car Racing game

How to make different Levels