Curation Project promotion Links

Please follow the below links to see the promotion I have done for my curation project

Twitter Feed 1

Twitter Feed 2

Curation Project- 1st Report

Curation Project 

First Report

The title and topic of my planned curation project is Technology Education and Sustainable Systems. The topic of my curation project is linked to the Australian Curriculum’s Technologies learning area. It will curate resources that will aide in the facilitation of the subject design and technologies for the year five and six content description, Investigate characteristics and properties of a range of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment and evaluate the impact of their use (Australian Curriculum, 2014). The content of this curation project will benefit the teaching profession by providing a set of resources such as projects, activities, topic experts and other digital media. It will help teachers engage students in critical thinking and the practical design process of sustainable systems

The online sources that will be employed throughout the curation project include Twitter, Facebook, Pocket and Scoop.it. These online sources have been selected because they operate within a familiar ecosystem that will allow fast access to information and its retrieval. This ecosystem consists of mobile devices and laptops across various locations. Further, these sources have been selected as they make up the majority of sources used across my PLN. The criteria for the selected experts within my PLN, was at a minimum their use of Facebook and Twitter for communication. By selecting experts who use sources similar to the curation project, it is expected that information relevant to the subject matter of the curation project would be up to date and easily dispersed throughout my PLN.

Experts selected for use with the curation project include Annie Leonard, Bill Nye, Al Gore and Jonathon Porritt. The expectations of these experts are that they will be a source of quality background knowledge and information for teachers. Personal research on these experts has identified they have a tertiary education that has been continued throughout their career. They are actively involved in the promotion and education of sustainability and sustainable practices. The information provided by these experts includes the application of sustainability within systems, the benefits of a sustainable environment and the impact of sustainable systems on our culture.

The sample artifact curates Bill Nye’s website. It provides knowledge about the investigation of the materials within a sustainable environment. This expert will provide an avenue of the practical application of critical thinking within the classroom. This understanding will allow students to express why a sustainable practice works and understand the interactions the system has with materials and its external environment.

The interactions with the experts will occur via Twitter and Facebook. These interactions will include the reposting or Retweeting of information and the addition of comments to recent releases of relevant information by the expert. The use of Scoop.it as a tool allows the sharing of artifacts through Facebook and Twitter. The benefit of this means that access to relevant and new information related to the curation project can be easily shared across the PLN. This was a requirement for the selection of a curation tool. Scoop.it was found to be the most efficient and easy to use. The layout of artifacts was preferred compared to Pinterest and Wordpress.

The curation process will implement the seek, sense and share framework described within the EDP4130 course content. This framework provides a systematic process that can be applied to the curation of each artifact. By using this framework, only content of high quality and relevance will be curated. This framework will allow the curator to become aware of a wide range information sources. Its use has the potential to locate more experts and increase the quality of the PLN.

References

References

Australian Curriculum (2014). Technologies. Retrieved from            http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/technologies/design-and-            technologies/Curriculum/F-10

Facebook         www.facebook.com

Pocket             www.getpocket.com

Scoop.it           www.scoop.it.com

Twitter             www.twitter.com

Curation Project- 2nd Report

Curation Project 

Second Report

The title and topic of my curation project is Technology Education and Sustainable Systems. My curation project is linked to the Australian Curriculum’s Technologies learning area. It curates resources that help facilitate the subject design and technologies for year five and six. The content of this curation project benefits the teaching profession by providing a set of resources such as projects, activities, topic experts and other digital media that has been explored by the creator throughout semester 1 2014. The curated resources have been used to help develop lesson plans and units of work that have been implemented during professional experience.

The online sources that have been used throughout the semester include Twitter, Facebook, Pocket and Scoop.it. Facebook and Pocket were particularly useful. These were the sources that were used to promote and carry out research throughout the semester. Twitter was used to some extent but engagement with peers and experts worked better through Facebook. Scoop.it worked well and provided an organized platform that allowed other users to explore my resources and allowed exploration of other curation projects. The sharing of the curation project was very easy through Scoop.it as the tools used across my professional learning network (PLN) were integrated into the site. I learnt that the more I engage with my PLN across the semester via the promotion of my curation project, the more I learnt about the design and technologies curriculum. I was able to explore various perspectives on topics that were similar to mine and I believe this approach improved the quality of my curation project. I believe my PLN has grown over the semester through my interactions with peers in the course. I have followed and commented on their curation projects which has aided in my understanding of the delivery of the technologies curriculum

The curation process implemented a seek, sense and share framework described within the EDP4130 course content. This framework provided a systematic process that was applied to each artifact. I found that the seek stage of the framework progressively became easier during the project as I was exposed to relevant technologies content from my PLN. I believe that a well-structured PLN will reduce the amount of time in the seek stage in the future. The sense stage became more streamlined throughout the semester as I became efficient at identifying key components of the artifact that related to my curation topic. Using my curation project during professional experience also enabled me to acquire a sense of the practical implementation of an artifact. I was able to sense whether the artifact would actually be of use to a teacher in a classroom. This became a defining factor across the later artifacts included in the curation project. I then applied this understanding to previous artifacts and edited them where needed. The share aspect of the framework was time consuming. While Scoop.it made it easy to share my curation project, I found the time I had allocated to engage with experts and peers was limited. In stating this the experts and peers I engaged with provided me with a better understanding of the sustainability and systems thinking. I believe that with more time my engagement with experts and peers in the sharing stage would improve and lead to a higher quality PLN and enhanced knowledge of the Design and Technologies curriculum. By using this framework content of only high quality was selected.

By completing this project I have learnt that the ongoing maintenance and expansion of a PLN will have a significant impact on my ability to deliver the technologies curriculum. The changing nature of the design and technologies learning area and its application implies a responsibility of an educator to maintain current and relevant knowledge. I believe that this curation project and the process of its construction will maintain my knowledge of this learning area and maintain relevance for students within my class.

References

Facebook         www.facebook.com

Personal Facebook account     https://www.facebook.com/daniel.barker.77715

Pocket             www.getpocket.com

Scoop.it           www.scoop.it.com

Twitter                        www.twitter.com

Personal Twitter account     https://twitter.com/danielbarker01