Doctor of Education
- Queensland University of Technology, 2007
Master of Education (Further Education and Training)
- University of Southern Queensland, 2001
Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
- University of Southern Queensland, 1996
Bachelor of Creative Arts (Visual Arts)
- University of Southern Queensland, 1992
Diploma of Art and Design (Photography)
- PCAE (now Vic College of the Arts), Melbourne, 1981
Vice-President of the Australasian Council on Open, Distance and e-Learning (ACODE)
ACODE's mission is to enhance policy and practice in Australasian higher education around technology enhanced learning and teaching at institutional, national and international levels through: disseminating and sharing knowledge and expertise; supporting professional development and providing networking opportunities investigating; developing and evaluating new approaches; advising and influencing key bodies in higher education; and promoting best practice.
Director, ACODE Learning Technologies Leadership Institute, and
Director, ACODE Benchmarking Summit
As part of my involvement on the ACODE Executive Committee I am responsible for directing the activities of the ACODE Learning Technologies Leadership Institutes and the ACODE Benchmarking Summits (run in alternate years). Participants in the Institute develop a deeper understanding of what constitutes effective leadership in relation to TEL and work closely with the Faculty to gain an understanding of their future leadership potential.
The Benchmarking Summits uses the ACODE Benchmarks for technology enhanced learning. Every two years those participating institutions undertake a self-assessment activity using the benchmarks, culminating in a inter-institutional benchmarking activity.
Vice-Chair, Moodle Users Association (MUA)
The role of the Moodle Users Association is to help guide the development of the open source Moodle project. Moodle is used in some 225 countries, by almost 64,000 registered sites and is regularly accessed by over 81 million users.
Mentor: ASCILITE Community Mentoring Program
I am currently an active Mentor in the ascilite Community Mentoring Program. This involves engaging in professional mentoring relationship with a more junior ascilite member (mentee) and provides a vehicle for the enhancement of specific knowledge, skills or capacities in an area of developing expertise. This arrangement is formalised through a Mentoring Agreement.
- Peer-Reviewed publications and proceedings and Invited and Keynote presentations
- Consultamcies and professional activities
- Exhibions and works in collections
- March 2018 to Present: Professor and Deputy Director, Learning Transformations
This role contributes to the strategic leadership of Learning Futures team, and the portfolio’s strategy for the university-wide program of curriculum and teaching renewal. It coordinates the deliver of strategic learning transformation priorities and the implementation of a new, integrated and embedded approach to technology enhanced learning, by applying specialist knowledge and expertise in university teaching, learning, curriculum design.
- March 2017 to March 2018: Director, Learning Transformations
This role contributes to the strategic leadership of learning transformation team, and the portfolio’s strategy for the university wide program of curriculum and teaching renewal. It coordinates the deliver of strategic learning transformation priorities and the implementation of a new, integrated and embedded academic professional development strategy that will apply specialist knowledge and expertise in university teaching, learning, curriculum design.
- November 2016 to March 2017: Associate Professor, Digital Learning Transformation
This position provides leadership and fosters excellence in digital learning & teaching and related scholarship within RMIT University, and with the community, professional, commercial and industrial sectors. More specifically, it is responsible for providing strategic leadership in the implementation of a best in class learning experience for students across RMITs campuses in Melbourne and globally in a refreshed learning management system.
- July 2012 to October 2016: Director, Learning Environments and Media
As the name suggests, this position is responsible for overseeing all the learning and teaching systems used by USQ, such as the LMS, ePortfolio, virtual classrooms, etc. It also has responabilty for supervising the work of two main work units; Learning Systems and Support (LSS) and Media Services (video, multimedia, graphics, photography, audio).
- Dec 2011 to July 2012: Program Manager, Learning Technologies and Environments
Reporting to the PVC Learning Teaching and Quality and responsible for the oversight of all the systems used to support USQs teaching, such as Moodle, ePortfolio, lecture cature, etc...
- Jan 2009 to Dec 2011: Director, Learning and Teaching Support Unit (LTSU), USQ.
Reporting to the PVC Learning and Teaching and responsible for the oversight of 24 staff, providing the Academic Professional Development program, Learning and Teaching Design support for staff, Academic Learning Support for students and Teaching Excellence support.
- 2008 – 2009: Academic Project Manager, Program Revitalisation. LTSU, USQ.
Reporting to Pro Vice-Chancellor Learning and Teaching. Manage a university wide curriculum renewal project, containing four major sub-projects including: the Course and Program Mapping Project, the revitalization of Academic Professional Development, the Vertical Integration Project and the Technology Enhanced Learning and Flexible Delivery Project.
2006 – 2008: Senior Lecturer (Learning & Teaching Enhancement). LTSU, USQ.
Course Moderator: APN7001, APN7002, APN7003 and APN7004, Faculty of Arts.
Reporting to the Director, Learning and Teaching Support Unit. Provide Learning and Teaching Design support to Faculty of Arts and lead the university wide project on technology enhanced learning, including the implementation of Moodle.
2005 – 2006: Lecturer (Learning and Teaching Enhancement). LTSU, USQ.
Course Leader: MMS3017 ‘Web Design and Production’ Faculty of Arts.
Reporting to the Director, Learning and Teaching Support Unit. Provide Learning and Teaching Design support to Faculty of Arts and provide professional development to staff in the use of learning technologies.
- 2001 – 2005: Instructional Designer: Academic Level B, Distance and e-Learning Centre (DeC), USQ.
Course Leader FET5621, ‘Introduction to Web Publishing’. Faculty of Education.
Reporting to the Director, Distance and eLearning Centre. Provide Instructional Design support to the Faculty of Business.
- 1990 – 2001: Senior Photographer, Media Services Unit (DEC), USQ.
Reporting to the Head, Media Services Unit.
- 1988 – 1990: Photographer, Geelong Creative Services, Geelong Advertiser Newspaper.
- Further details (employment prior to 1988) by request.
I regularly review for the following Academic Journals:
- Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET)
- Australasian Journal of Information Systems (AJIS)
- British Journal of Educational Technology (BJET)
- Higher Education (HIGH)
- International Journal of Education and Development using ICT (IJEDICT)
- Information Systems Management (ISM)
- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT)
- Journal of Technology and Teacher Education (JTATE)
- Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice (JUTLP)